Monday, March 30, 2009

Late Winter


We finally got some decent snow last week. It arrived late, but we'll take it nonetheless. I almost forgot how beautiful snow is. It's been a while since I have seen it. It's like meeting an old friend again. You remember all the great things about it....you also remember a few of the not-so-good things as well. Snow is one of my favorite subjects to paint. It is so filled with so many colors and it can create a variety of moods.....from sullen and melancholy to bright and exuberant. I was able to get out and get at least one painting in before it all melted, though. Trouble with Spring snow...... it melts fast and one must play carpe diem before it vanishes before our eyes. This is a scene I painted from some ponds on an open space not far from where I live. I brought the foothills a little closer to give a feeling of intimacy. The warm colors of the willows against the cools of the mountains made for an interesting and soothing relationship. Most of all was the reflection of the snow banks on the water. They were so soft and absolutely gorgeous. It stopped me in my tracks, and there you have it.

"Late Winter" 9 x 12 field study oil on canvas

No comments: